Sunday, July 12, 2009

Fifteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time

Amos 7: 12-15
It's taken me a bit longer than planned to resume writing, but here I am. And this passage seemed appropriate for a new beginning. This blog, and everything else I've ever written, is not and never will be about me. God has given me something to say, and told me to say it. And no matter how much of a pain in the ass this task is, I just cannot say "no" to my creator.

Ephesians 1: 3-14; Mark 6: 7-13
There is a theme here that Jesus shares with us the power and love of God, a relationship not possible before his arrival. But if we are a creation of our Father, were we not always her children? The Prodigal Son was always his father's child, even if he misunderstood or rejected that relationship. Likewise, we do not need to be "adopted" by God, we are his already. But in our sin, frailty, and insecurity, we tell ourselves that such a reality should not and cannot be ours. We think we need Jesus to give us a share of his inheritance, because surely we do not possess one of our own. Nonsense I say! Jesus came to awaken, not give.